Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Searching the Seat of Suffering II

I have been thinking lately about the various forms of suffering. Now, the idea of suffering seems to infer great anguish or pain. It appears, though, that many people suffer from psychological pain and turmoil. Now, I do not mean to suggest these people are clinically insane, but they are mentally and spiritually in distress.
It is my purpose just to think through his issue. Suffering seems to me to be something that is like a weight that drags you to the bottom of the ocean. It is an anchor that is tied to your leg, pulling you down. However, it also connects greatly with your perspective. If you keep focusing on the anchor, you will probably never see or hear the helicopters and rescue boats that are searching the waterways looking for you. Because, most people who suffer have someone there to help them, albeit they just need to be looking in the right direction. However, this would really relate to those people who are dealing with usual stress symptoms from places like work, school, home, etc.... I would never dream of Saying that someone truly suffering through raw physical abuse, torture, or cruel disease would always have a form of help. To seem to say so would seem to be cruel to me.
I guess what burdens me the most is seeing people who suffer and knowing that they can overcome their pain, but with plenty of time, hard work, and commitment. Unfortunately, most people would opt for psychiatric therapy and happy pills from the bottle. How sad, it seems, to enslave yourself to a false form of happiness instead of feeling the true joys of deliverance. I guess some people feel that honest request fro help infers individual weakness. To that idea, I say how sad.
Think on That!

2 comments:

Jarrod, Dawn, Trevor and Mackenzie said...

How true!!! I love this post because it reminded me of an "anchor" I just recently let go, with the help of your beautiful wife:-) We often look for the quick fix and believe that there is a pill for everything, but that never truly delivers us from our suffering only buys us a little more time.
Awesome post!!!

RJ Haggerty said...

This is true, many problems that people have with their psyche can be fixed through a relationship with Jesus. Deep stuff. Keep it up!