Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Interpreting the Scripture

So, is it just me (probably not), but does anyone else think that the improper interpretation of Scripture leads us astray in our ability to truly worship God and understand Him better? I mean, people have so many presuppositions about what they read, and the unfortunate lack of intellectual ability doesn't help things. Now, don't get me wrong. I suffer from these problems as well, but does anyone else get tired of them after a while?

I am also amazed at people I know who seem to encapsulate everything they do and believe into a theological system that sets all the boundaries for life and practice, but also opening a door to intellectual and spiritual arrogance. If I have learned anything, it is that the pursuit of knowledge is one of the most rewarding experiences in this life. It allows a person so much more freedom in discussing and thinking about the big questions of life. However, I don't wanna go Gnostic or anything and begin to worship the idea of perfection through knowledge. What a bad idea that would be!

But anyway, back to the main point. Have you ever thought that there may be just one way to do things. If there is a right way to do everything, then why don't we ever do it? Why don't we do the things we are supposed to do? The biblical answer: SIN! So, in order to figure out what we should do, it would probably be wise to read the Bible. I mean, if it is from God you would probably think it is important for life and godliness. That would be correct. So, it is probably a good idea to understand Scripture properly, with a heart of humility and an engaged mind.

Lord, help me to understand your Word, so that I might allow it to change and guide my life. Truly, your Word last forever. Help me. Please, help me!

Think on That!

2 comments:

Dawn Finley said...

Chad,
A musing from your cuz! :)

Are you talking about clear commands in Scripture (do not commit adultery) or more general commands (practice hospitalilty)?

As to the latter type, I think there is actually much freedom from God and in Scripture as to how some things are to be done. For example, how one practices hospitality will probably look very different for people whose personalities are more extroverted and whose spiritual gifts cater to having people in their homes a lot. On the other hand, hospitality for a more introverted person with different gifts may look very different in that fewer people at a time are invited into the home and less frequent invitations are extended. I don't believe that anyone could say that the former person is "doing hospitality" better than the latter person.

And sometimes our tendency (mine has been!) is to expect my particular passions to be that of others. For example, someone who has a passion to minister to the urban poor decides to move to downtown Raleigh to live among them and so on...this person should not expect that, although Scripture has a lot to say about caring for the poor with blessings for those who do, other Christians have to be "visibly" engaged in some form of organized ministry/outreach to the poor.

Sometimes, I have been guilty of thinking and behaving in ways that foster legalism by expecting others to "live out" general commands of scripture in such ways that God does not specifically make it so. I think the "how" of these general commands is a cry out to God for wisdom in one's own life (ex: "God, do I spend 20 minutes in devoted prayer today or an hour? God, how much time should I spend watching TV today? How can I bless my neighbor in need today? How much quality time should I try to spend with my kids today? What kind of discipline should I use the next time my son shows disrespect to his mother?). It can also be helpful to observe and learn from the lives of others whom you respect ...

Amber said...

great post